Hey Ya'll! You've made it to my blog. First of all - thank you!

Secondly, you will need a few tips to get you settled in.

Step 1.
You will need a Google account to be able to comment on my blog. Trust me, you will want to comment. Don't sweat it! It's easy AND free, so take a minute and set it up.

Step 2.
Look at the top right of the screen (go ahead, you can look now). Click on "customize" and you will have lots of options - ways to be notified when a new post is added. If this confuses you, just fuggetaboutit.

Step 3.
If you REALLY, REALLY love me, please FOLLOW ME! To the right of this space, you will see a small white box marked "Follower". That's where you want to click to follow me (publicly please).

Step 4.
Enjoy and tell me what you want to hear about or what you think about what I've shared.

I try to look at life with my head cocked to one side. Most times, that viewpoint makes me laugh, sometimes it makes me cry and other times, it just makes me think. Grab your hat and hold on to that sucker. It's gonna be a fun ride!

Monday, May 17, 2010

The Year That God Tried to Buy Me A Large Pizza With Everything

You know me, but you may not know that I'm the 6th of 7th children. Coming from such a large family, I knew that my parents couldn't afford to send me to college. However, with the help of a very kind teacher and the grace of God, I was awarded a four year scholarship to Agnes Scott College, a four year liberal arts women's college in Decatur, Georgia.



With a full ride, I thought I had it made! So in the fall of 1973, off I went to Decatur, armed with a newly purchased trunk from K-Mart, my hard sided hot pink (I was just beginning my fashionista phase) Samsonite suitcase and the bible that my mom insisted that I take with me and place on the nightstand near my bed.



After I got settled in, one reality hit me pretty quickly. A full scholarship cover room and board, but it did NOT cover a midnight pizza run. Week after week, I watched the girls on the floor in my dorm order pizza whenever they got good and ready. They always seemed to have a large pizza with everything. I didn't have any money, so I made it through the nights and weekends with what seemed like hundreds of packages of ramen noodles and can after miserable can of vienna sausages and what had to be THOUSANDS of sleeves of (premium!) saltine crackers.



I would talk to my mom often and week after week, she'd ask "Michelle, are you reading your bible" and week after week, I'd lie and say "Yes, mama.". The fact was that the bible was in the very same place that she'd left it - on the night stand beside my bed. You see, my sould wasn't hungry, but my stomach was, so I settled for noodles, sausages and saltines.



Sure, I was invited to share a slice of pizza with the girls who lived on my floor, but I was never able to take the leftovers back to my room or certainly not take the last slice. After all, I had not paid one dime.



The end of the school year came and I went to pack my bible to move to another dorm. As I picked up the bible, time stood still as a precious $20 bill floated in what seemed like slow motion from the bible to the floor. My mom had put it there and I only then realized that all year long, God had been trying to buy me a large pizza with everything.



Now, I read my bible with much more regularity and the funny thing is that I've found something much more satisfying, even better than a large pizza with everything.

5 comments:

  1. What a great story. We did the same thing with Kayla, my step-daughter, hid money in the new study bible we gave her. We haven't gotten a thank you yet so I'm guessing she's not reading it either. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah, Tracie, she is definitely NOT reading it! If she had found that money, you would have heard about it. But, as Jessie says Keep Hope Alive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had forgotten this story but that is so our Mother! Moral of this story --read the Bible--you can always find something good in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, wow. thats so sweet, yet so funny. She knew your butt was lying..... THE ENTIRE TIME!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Know! She loved me enough not to bust me! I can't believe that she continued to ask me anyways..

    ReplyDelete