Today's story is a two-fer. It explains the origin of my screen name (MyChineseNameIsStephanie) and it tells you about my garage sale adventure with my Korean dry cleaning lady.
First, the name. After we moved to this area, I quickly became a regular at the dry cleaners on Atlanta Road, near the house. It was so good that they would have my clothes hanging on the rack and ready for me by the time I got out of the car. I couldn't blame them for not being able to properly pronounce "Stickney", so I got used to being greeted with "Hey, Stephaneeee" (it was always drawn out at the end). I figured, what's the harm? Who would ever know?
From time to time, I would see my dry cleaning lady at various garage sales. We would speak, bow and move on. Then, she started to question me when I brought in various items to be dry cleaned. "Ga-rah-jay sale?" she would ask. "No" I would answer. I thought that she was asking me if I had purchased said item at a garage sale.
The day came when she asked me about a tablecloth I brought in. "Ga-rah-jay sale?" she asked. "Yes!" I answered. She immediately left the counter, got her purse and went and got into the passenger seat of my car. More than a little stunned, her husband came and finished my ticket. I proceeded to get into the car and she was grinning wildly as she said "Ga-rah-jay sale!" Only then did I realize that she was planning to go WITH me to the "Ga-rah-jay sales" that day!
What a couple we made! Me - black lady in a cute jog set and matching cap (you know it!) and this little Korean lady from the dry cleaners. Truth be told, I didn't even know her name! But, it's true what they say - garage sales are the universal language (OK, they don't say it, but they should). We spent about 2 hours, going from sale to sale. She would show me some things, say a few words (which I didn't understand) and then either buy or not buy and we'd move on to the next one. I dropped her off back at the cleaners and helped her unload her garage sale booty into the cleaners.
After a while, I stopped going to that dry cleaners so I didn't see the Korean dry cleaning lady for a while. But, last Saturday, I was at a garage sale and I heard this high pitched voice saying "Stephaneeeee" and I immediately knew who it was! We hugged and exchanged words that neither of us understood and I THINK that she introduced me to the lady she was with. As she "introduced" us, she said the lady's name, then she turned to me and said "Stephaneee, right?" and I said "Right!"
Take away? If someone says "garage sale" with a question mark at the end, the answer is NO in any language.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Michelle, That is HILLARIOUS! I thought I would crack up when you said she got in your car. OMG...once again, I am LOL!!! And to think you dont even know her name.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete