When we made the exchange in the parking lot of the Center for Puppetry Arts (CfPA), there were very few instructions. However, one of the most emphasized points required a demo. Faith actually opened Joy's bag, pulled out a stocking cap and said, "Whatever you do, you MUST have her sleep in this stocking cap". That may sound a little intense for hair care instructions, but you have to understand that we are talking about FRESH braids! Faith had painstakingly braided Joy's hair in a circular pattern with little purple beads. So, under threat of death (or so it seemed), I promised (I think there was some kind of oath) that I would do my duty and insist that she sleep in the stocking cap.
This exchange was followed by viewing of Paul Bunyan's Tall Tale Adventures at the CfPA, the on-site museum, lunch at the Varsity, a visit with Daddy, grocery store, then home. Side note: I tried to impress upon Maya the need to preface any of her "stories" with "this is a tall tale". She tends to make up some long drawn out stories that get you all hyped up, then she laughs and says "just kidding". So, you know me, Ms Learning Opportunity, I tried to explain that a tall tale is an untruth, but you usually tell people UP FRONT. That worked for about 10 minutes, then we were back with the J/K at the end of her "stories." Can't blame a Gigi for trying, right? Anyway, I digress from the original (not tall) tale.
That night, we (Joy, Maya and me) were all as tired as little babies that had been played with all day long, but I ran some bath water for them, let them play for 10 minutes, got them to brush their teeth and they each picked out a book to take to bed. I had it laid out on the bed (the stocking cap), but Joy didn't see it. She says, with dramatic urgency, as is her style, "GIGI, LET'S NOT FORGET MY HAIR THING. I WOULDN'T WANT TO DISAPPOINT MY MOTHER!" Everything stopped for a minute, as I imagined how wonderful life would be if we could surgically implant this statement into the head of every child in every land. What if they were getting ready to do something and that statement "I wouldn't want to disappoint my mother" would pop up (cartoon balloon style) above their head. I think that that would give them time to imagine their mother's face and quite possibly change some behaviors.
But, for that moment, when Joy spoke those magical and beautiful words, I stopped, walked over, kissed her forehead and put that stocking cap on her head, because I realized that I didn't want to disappoint her mother either.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Awhhhh, what a cute story!
ReplyDeleteWay to go Joy-way to go Gigi!
STILL laughing out loud, with a little tear in the corner of my eye. It might be from amusement, and maybe just a little from pride.
ReplyDelete;)