Hey Ya'll! You've made it to my blog. First of all - thank you!

Secondly, you will need a few tips to get you settled in.

Step 1.
You will need a Google account to be able to comment on my blog. Trust me, you will want to comment. Don't sweat it! It's easy AND free, so take a minute and set it up.

Step 2.
Look at the top right of the screen (go ahead, you can look now). Click on "customize" and you will have lots of options - ways to be notified when a new post is added. If this confuses you, just fuggetaboutit.

Step 3.
If you REALLY, REALLY love me, please FOLLOW ME! To the right of this space, you will see a small white box marked "Follower". That's where you want to click to follow me (publicly please).

Step 4.
Enjoy and tell me what you want to hear about or what you think about what I've shared.

I try to look at life with my head cocked to one side. Most times, that viewpoint makes me laugh, sometimes it makes me cry and other times, it just makes me think. Grab your hat and hold on to that sucker. It's gonna be a fun ride!

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Don't Ask, Don't Tell (About the Hat)

Seriously, Daddy must have between 50 - 60 baseball caps. I hasten to add that he has never played baseball, doesn't follow any teams of any type and hates to be outside for too long. Why so many???? The hats are all about fashion! Uh huh, I said Fashion! My daddy is 90 years old, but he has always been a fashionista (of the dude variety)! As long as I can recall, Daddy has liked to dress up (mostly on Sunday), but he would take such time and effort to decide just which tie went best with which shirt and suit and then the right shoes had to be added. Then, the hat, the hat, the hat was the crowning glory of his emsemble. In those days, it was the felt men's "Sunday" hat or in summer, the killer straw hat.

Now that he's in a nursing home (please don't call it that when you meet him. He calls it the hospital, the school or home), we shifted to baseball caps to keep the fashionista thing going. I can't tell you how many days that I have pressed the "emergency button" beside his bed to have a nurse come running. The "emergency" was that his cap didn't match his outfit! Yes, they were ticked, but also yes, they learned to avoid those "emergency calls" by properly matching his caps to his outfits. Renata takes so much effort to put together his Southpole jeans with the perfect shirt and puts each emsemble on a separate hanger with a tag marking the proper day of the week. I have sorted the caps (by color!) on the top two shelves in his closet, so all they have to do is look up and get one that matches. It's no wonder that Dad is the BMONHC (Big Man On Nursing Home Campus)! He is totally and completely sharp every single day and all residents and most families know him.

On one of those days that I had to take dad to the doctor, I had allowed my normal two hours before the appointment window to be sure that I didn't have to rush him (he hates that!). On the way into the appointment, Daddy got lots of hellos, nods and compliments on this outfit, but one lady stopped, took time and bent down to talk to him. She was directing her conversation directly to dad and he was loving it! All of a sudden, I heard her ask him, WHICH WAR DID YOU FIGHT IN? (Yes, it was this loud. People assume that the wheelchair affected his hearing). Imagine me, raising one finger as if I was about to say "aha". I did this to interject that he has never served in the military and that the cap simply happened to be just the right shade of blue. We never paid any attention to the fact that it had the emblem of the Marine Corps! Just as I opened my mouth to say these things, I heard daddy say "I can't always remember which war". At that point, I closed my mouth, because the lady started to gush and tell daddy that it was ok, that it really didn't matter, that she just wanted to thank him for his service. I lowered my hand and waited til it was over and pushed on to Dad's appointment. We still haven't taken that cap out of rotation (it's still the right shade of blue).

But, I have started to realize that the approving nods are sometimes about the emsemble and sometimes about the hat. I've taken the position of Don't Ask, Don't Tell when it comes to the hat!

3 comments:

  1. Your father did serve, maybe not in the army, navy, or marines. But he served his community and his family. He ranks up there with the military status. I am sorry about his condition. I know you and your family are taking good care of him. -Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy, you are right! A lot of men - faced with 7 hungry children, would have bolted. I thank God every day that he stayed! Don't be sorry about the ALZ. It has had it's blessings. I have talked and laughed more with Dad in the years since his diagnosis than in my entire childhood! God has a way to making things OK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle,
    Good job on your additional blog instructions.
    Great hat story,,,yes, Dad loves his hats and is not willing to give not 1 of them up!
    He thinks he needs all 101 hats that he has.
    Michelle is right-he loves looking nice.

    ReplyDelete